TMJ Treatment / Mouthguard
If you have trouble opening your mouth fully, if your jaw joints pop, or if you have discomfort when biting and chewing, you may have a problem with your temporomandibular joint (TMJ). This pain can be constant, temporary, or situational, and at Healdsburg Dental Spa in Healdsburg, CA, our team will determine exactly what’s going on with your oral health and whether you need TMJ treatment or a customized mouthguard to relieve your pain.
Causes of TMJ Problems
The TMJs are the hinges on either side of your mouth that connect your jawbone to your skull. Many people, unfortunately, suffer from a dysfunction of these joints, a problem that can be triggered by things like:
- Grinding or clenching teeth
- Bite imbalance
- Jaw injury
- Missing teeth
Lifestyle habits like poor posture or chronic stress can also strain the jaw, as well as poor-fitting dentures or other restorations. But sometimes it’s simply a matter of DNA and being born with TMJs that are not properly positioned and cause chronic or recurring pain.
Signs and Symptoms That You Might Need TMJ Treatment
Most people who need TMJ treatment already suspect that they have an oral health problem – they just might not realize exactly where the problem is originating or what kind of help they need to fix it. Typical symptoms of temporomandibular disorder (TMD) include the following:
- Discomfort when chewing
- Pain or tenderness in the jaw
- Limited jaw mobility
- Jaw gets locked in the open position
- Clicking or popping sounds when opening the mouth
- Headaches (especially in the morning)
- Ear pain or ringing ears
- Stiff shoulders, neck, and back
Because there are some symptoms of TMD that mimic other health conditions, like chronic migraines, many people go to their primary care physician for help instead of their dentist. As a result, the problem is often misdiagnosed when it could be quickly and easily treated by your Healdsburg dentist.
Types of TMJ Treatment for Temporomandibular Disorder
When you go to your dentist for help with your jaw discomfort and pain, she will conduct a comprehensive examination of your mouth and evaluate the symptoms you report to accurately diagnose the situation. If you do have TMD and need TMJ treatment, your Healdsburg dentist will begin with the most conservative but effective options that will bring your bite into balance. TMJ treatments will vary depending on your dentist’s diagnosis but may include:
- Mouthguard: A customized oral appliance, often referred to as a nightguard, is worn while sleeping to help reduce any strain on the jaw joints. This is especially helpful for patients with sleep bruxism who grind and clench their teeth in sleep.
- Trigger point injections: Sometimes, relief can be delivered right at the source of your jaw pain with pain medication injected into the facial muscles, also known as trigger points.
- If the bite is not correct, it will create TMJ as well. If this is an issue, it can be treated by either braces or Invisalign.
Get TMJ Treatment or a Mouthguard at Healdsburg Dentist Near Me
Your TMJ problem is unique to you, and it is important for your Healdsburg dentist to examine your mouth to diagnose what’s happening with your oral health so TMJ treatment can commence as needed. Be honest about the pain you’re feeling, the symptoms you’re experiencing, and the concerns you have, so the right treatment can begin.
Relief is possible. You don’t have to live with jaw discomfort. Schedule
a consultation with the team at Healdsburg Dental Spa in Healdsburg, California
and start getting help right away.