Getting wisdom teeth extracted is a rite of passage for most people that occurs in the late teens or early adulthood. At Healdsburg Dental Spa in Healdsburg, California, we perform routine wisdom teeth extraction as well as emergency extractions for impacted or infected wisdom teeth.
Problems Caused by Wisdom Teeth
Many generations ago, humans needed their third molars to help them manage chewy plants and meats. Thanks to evolution, our diets no longer demand these extra teeth to get us through every meal. As a result, our mouths have changed too, which means most people simply do not have enough room to accommodate wisdom teeth.
Wisdom teeth extraction is typically done before or during orthodontic treatment, or on the recommendation of your dentist after a routine dental exam. This ensures that the teeth do not have an opportunity to erupt and cause major problems with your oral health. Unfortunately, not everyone takes their dentist’s advice or simply decides to risk it and hope their wisdom teeth will not cause any complications.
Even if the teeth do not break through the gums, problematic wisdom teeth can lead to swelling, stiffness, sensitivity, and more, and their mere presence can cause:
- Extreme pain
- Tooth damage
- Bite misalignment
- Tooth decay
The Wisdom Teeth Extraction Process
Wisdom teeth extraction can be done at your dentist’s office, in an outpatient clinic, or at the hospital. It is done under anesthesia and the location will depend on the complexity of your case and your dentist’s preferences.
- Incision: An incision is made in the gum to expose both tooth and bone.
- Removal: The tooth and root are extracted, often in pieces.
- Cleaning: Debris is carefully cleaned out of the tooth socket.
- Stitching: The wound is stitched shut and gauze is used to help control bleeding and promote the development of a blood clot.
All wisdom teeth extraction patients must be escorted home from their appointment. They will be provided with detailed instructions about how to care for the surgical area, clean their mouth, manage pain, and eat, as well as what to expect from healing.
There will always be a brief period of downtime after wisdom tooth extraction during which the patient must take a pause from regular activities. Your dentist will let you know when normal activities can resume.
Need-to-Know Facts About Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Though people usually have their wisdom teeth removed before these third molars have the chance to wreak any havoc, anyone who opts to keep the teeth risk a lot of damage and pain.
- Wisdom teeth that cause problems are always impacted. Whether the wisdom tooth breaks through the gum (partially impacted) or stays hidden (impacted), the pain, swelling, redness, and thorough discomfort is only the beginning of your problems. Left to fester, the teeth can shift teeth out of alignment and cause decay and other infections.
- There is no room for wisdom teeth. If wisdom teeth erupt, they usually come through at an angle because there isn’t enough room for them. This positioning causes extreme pain and the tooth will scrape against the nearby molars.
- Get treatment right away. Your dentist wants your wisdom teeth extraction to be a routine, planned procedure and not an emergency, but should you avoid the procedure and begin to experience discomfort, pain, and swelling, contact your Healdsburg dentist immediately for extraction.
Get Wisdom Teeth Extraction in Healdsburg
If you suspect that your wisdom teeth or your child’s wisdom teeth are beginning to cause problems, contact Healdsburg Dental Spa
in Healdsburg, CA
to schedule an appointment or, if need be, an emergency wisdom teeth extraction. Dr. Tam is a highly trained oral surgeon and she and her team will guide you through the wisdom teeth removal process with gentleness and care.